Inbox

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Internet Friends, Real Friendships or Not?







We all have talked to people on the internet and made what we consider real friends but the question has to be.... can people become real friends if all they have are notes, chats and comments over the internet.

I have found a couple of things to be true, at least for myself. The first thing is that I have found my greatest enemies over the internet, people who would never have come after me if we had no other connection except the internet. Since I can safely say that I have people who hate me because of the internet I should also be able to say that I have found true friends.

I have met people who I truly care about, ones that I am concerned when they have something bad in their life and able to rejoice when something good happens. These are the exact same feelings that I have for real life friends.

I moved to Marblehead because of a person I originally met on Facebook, we became friends, then best friends and now husband and wife. Now that I am in a different state and many of my Internet friends that lived here are real life friends my old friends of become my internet friends.

I will give an example, Thomas is a real life friends who I have known since my school days. He is an important part of my psyche and considering I have not seen the guy for almost two years we have stayed in contact via the internet...... but he is still as real to me via the internet as he was when we would go to lunch together.

The simple answer to the question..... Yes, real friends can be "just" internet friends.

2 comments:

  1. na ha....... I'm your only true friend cause ya went an married that other women means she ain't ya friend no mora

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm aware there are people who hide themselves in real life, then come out with new persona on the 'Net...
    The folks I have met, a few in particular, were as real to me on all senses but smell and touch... and except for a handshake or mebbe hug, if I get close enough to comment on your smell, Judy may kick my bootie --- and I could probably measure the length of our friendship further in minutes...
    I feel I've been blessed by many of my friends here on Internet/FB... and to me it's as real as we wish it to be, because I am spending my time on something, and to think it a chimera would lead me to wonder about my mental health... God Bless, my friend...

    ReplyDelete