Inbox

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Green Meat




I never understood the fascination with St. Patrick's day, why would anyone want to be Irish even for a day. This is not knocking the red headed, green wearing, beer drinking (ok, not all drink beer but I cannot understand how tv can be wrong) Irish folk but I am quite happy being of the linage of people that raided, pillaged and wore cool hats and have no desire to go out and look for four leaf clovers.

This introduction brings me to what I am doing now. My existence currently is in the Boston area and from what I can tell there are at least one or two Irish folk in the area. The parades are actually on St. Patrick's day and not on the closest weekend, wearing orange would be as smart as Michael Moore speaking at a Tea Party Rally and people actually make special dinners to honor the day.

Judy, the love of my life, is down stairs cooking my families special St. Patrick Days dinner. There is going to be soda bread, cabbage and "gray" corned beef". I know that she is the best cook ever but I am a little worried about any kind of meat that starts off gray before cooking it. People who know me might find it strange that I would be reluctant to eat any kind of meat but a piece of cow that starts off looking bad before you do anything to eat does make me a bit worried.

Judy has never tried to kill me in the past and actually has helped me out after I consumed things I picked up off the ground that I probably should not have ingested. I am not too worried about living through the ordeal but I am curious about why the Irish would even think about making beef the color of spoiled spam before even cooking it.

I guess the big question for me on this holiday is why not make green corned beef instead of gray. Neither sound to good but if you are going to be eating spoiled meat then at least make it the color of the day.

2 comments:

  1. That is a totally funny outlook.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just going by the title... It could also be green eggs and ham! Lol

    Lex

    ReplyDelete