Inbox

Monday, May 2, 2011

Osama bin Laden is Dead But Who Cares?





Maybe this should have been placed in one of my political blogs but it is more of a personal story then a political one.

Last night I was doing what I always do late at night, creeping through the house and trying to sneak up behind the cat to scare her. I had already heard that Osama was dead and while I reveled that they got the guy I also realized that in the grand scale of things it really did not mean much. There will still be bad guys and killing just one of the big ones really will not do much. I was glad the guy was dead but at the same time thought that there was now more things to worry about.

Ari, was down stairs watching the news of his death when I came traipsing through the living room and she was crying. I have to tell you that guys hate it when women cry but we really hate it when a woman is crying that we care about. I immediately stopped and asked her what was wrong and response was one of those moments when if I listen I can learn something true and real.

Ari, explained to me that 9-11 happened when she was 11, young enough to know the horror that occurred but too young to understand all of the details. This created a fear of unspeakable proportions, going to bed at night and not knowing if she would be bombed at night. Fearing that her world was coming to an end and it was this mans fault. She had lived half her life with Osama as the ultimate bad guy.

I realized that not only had we finally brought justice to a really bad guy but those Navy Seals (heroes for sure) had brought a sense of finality to millions of people that lived with fear because of one whacked out individual. He had become the Hitler of modern times.... I now wonder if when the far left or far right go nuts and start demonizing those they disagree with if instead of saying "You are worse then Hitler" if they can now say "You are worse then Osama".

I am glad the guy is dead but I am also glad that Ari helped me understand why last night so many of the people who gathered around the country to celebrate where college aged kids.... thanks Ari, even an old dog can learn new tricks with a little patience.



Ari turns 21 this month and is in college to become a teacher. Judy and I are both very proud of her and Heather, her sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment