Inbox

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Remembering My Brother





This is a personal entry for my blog. Today is my older brothers birthday who died when I was 14 years old. I have to be honest and tell you that unlike many people just because a person dies it does not mean that all of a sudden their memory turns into the perfect person. I have great memories of him but also remember some of the sibling fights we had.

The thing I remember the most about him was that he was a great big brother, while he did get bossy and order my younger brother and I around he would also take on the whole football team to protect me after I did another one of my "funny" little practical jokes on them. Today I really miss him and wish that I could just give the guy a call and tell him about Alexis, Judy, Ari and Heather just so I could hear him tell me how lucky I am. I know what he would tell me but you know, it is not the same thing as actually hearing it from him.

It has been almost 30 years since he has passed but in someways it hurts more today then it ever has. I guess when you start to wonder what would he have become, what children he would have had and what kind of advice he would give it really starts to hurt. The nice thing though is even when I was a snotty nosed, stinky, fighting and mean kid the kids at school where better with me then even most adults. I think back to some of those kids back in the day and am thankful for them just being nice.

Not much more to write but just thankful that I did have an older brother.... and I still miss the guy.

1 comment:

  1. I'm right there with you Mike. I still miss him & love him a lot. There never was and never will be another one like him. Thirty years later I still think about him often. Call me sometime and I'll tell you the dream that I had about him, right after it happened, that still gives me comfort.
    Love you, Sheila

    ReplyDelete