Inbox

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Art of Eating Sea Bugs



I was born in the great state of Oklahoma which means I know little about the art of lobster eating. I had a few surprises when I went to the dock to pick up food for a gathering of friends on Monday night. I do understand that people who live on the New England Coast may find some of these odd but please remember that not only have I not lived in lobster territory but I also very seldom eat shellfish in the first place.

1) Lobsters are not considered alive if you have to poke them with a stick to get them to move.

2)  It is best to boil them BEFORE putting them on the table.

3) Do NOT and I mean do NOT unband the claws before cooking them.

4) When you separate the tail from the body, no matter what people say, the green stuff that shoots out is NOT guacamole.

5) This one actually works better then what the New Englanders do. It is easier to crack the claws by putting them on the ground and stomping on them then it is to use a "cracker"

I may not be the smartest or the best looking guy in the world but I now have some special knowledge on how to eat the creature that looks like a Sea Bug. Judy, her daughters, mother and our friends did laugh at me through the whole meal but I would have to say that through all of the laughter they also took the time to teach me what to do.

I cannot wait till I eat the creepy looking things again.... maybe in a couple of years.

11 comments:

  1. Dude, you just write these to pick up women. You are not kidding anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, Mike and I sat here this morning while we drank coffee and wrote this. I seriously doubt that he is trying to "pick up" women.
    I really don't get how writing about eating lobster with his girlfriend, her two daughters, and her mother makes him seem like a "two timer".
    Oh wait~~~~~~ maybe it is because that would be something YOU would do?????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm, I do know who uses the term "dude" when they write me and sorry girl, you blew it.

    I would also point out that the photo on this blog is Judy's daughter.... seems strange that I would use her picture to try and pickup other women. Maybe you use your kids to get guys but I personally find that quite gross.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I rarely eat lobster because of the expense, but I love it, even if it does look like a sea bug! I loved this blog, Michael, it made me laugh and I agree with EastSideGirl :) awf

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Blog and stupid first comment. The problem seems to be that you are a nice guy that is good looking and women are jealous of your girlfriend and that scares their men.

    Love you (as a brother)
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you like the Lobster????? As for the people commenting on this blog, why not sign your name?? What are you hiding from? Michael, Keep writing as you always have, some of us enjoy it..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since I have lived most of my life in Kansas I can see why you had problems. This is a great blog, I try and read it everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Act 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.
    Act 10:14 But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.
    Act 10:15 And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.

    ReplyDelete
  9. crawfish are better...much smaller and one boils them with elephant garlic, potatoes,corn and lots of crayfish boil then one pous em all over a picnic table and drinks beer with them...much better I think. I'm not a loster fan..no taste to me and alot of work

    ReplyDelete
  10. always love your blogs, michael. lobster is my fav seafood. i like them in a casserole the best, no work!!!!!!! need plenty of drawn butter. yummy!!!! and u have the best girlfriend in the world. i know you are content.

    ReplyDelete
  11. after reading this I wish I was up there that night just to see you struggle with da lobsta but oh well, wasn't looking for a night and a day and another night and prob another day.....in the bathroom, LOLOL There are enough other things we can laugh at besides lobsta's

    ReplyDelete