Inbox

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Boiled Meat




I grew up and lived many years in cattle country where men are men and cows are nervous (eaten, not the old joke...ok?). In the great states of Oklahoma and Oregon we understand that you take a slab of cow and throw it on fire to make it tasty. This works with other animals as well but for a family blog I will leave out the assortment of road kill that is also made delicious with this treatment.

I have recently been introduced to something that I previously would have thought that only a French Canadian could enjoy and that is boiled meat. Both corned beef and Daisy Ham are meals that you take perfectly good hunks of flesh and throw them into a big pot of boiling water, this does sound a bit nasty but the outcome is delectable.

I honestly thought that corned beef was something that Hormel created to take up space next to Spam but I have learned it is actually something that is made from real meat instead of some space age gluttonous gunk. Daisy Ham does seem a bit strange when you consider that you are taking a ham and boiling it for what seems days. I would not suggest though that my Jewish friends try this because I am pretty sure it still is not Kosher no matter that it no longer seems too ham like.

I have had my horizons widened with this exotic food but as always I want to push the boundaries of normality. Since "fusion" cooking is so hot right now with things like mixing Japanese with Mexican recipes I was wondering about mixing other styles with boiled meat. So I wondered what else could be boiled.....

Redneck food like possum? Hippie food like (well, drugs are illegal) and English food but I figure boiling anything English would probably actually add flavor to it.

4 comments:

  1. It is totally unnatural to boil meat unless you are making a stew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Polish Kielbasa and sauerkraut, an excellent dish

    ReplyDelete
  3. there's nothing like good 'ol corned beef and cabbage!!! what would st. patricks day be without it? another similar dish---boiled dinner. i like it made with smoked shoulder. yum--yum

    ReplyDelete