Inbox

Thursday, February 11, 2010

French Fried Fruit




There comes a day in every mans life when all things good and bad come to a head and it is time to do something trivial, worthless but still interesting for a few minutes to relieve the stress.  A birthday for a person I admire, a goodbye to a great man, people are fighting for freedom in Iran on this 31st anniversary of Mullah rule, the initial proceedings for a friends divorce because the "other" woman wanted to prove she was right and did not care who she hurt (she was not right), important votes in DC and last day of a waiting contract. With great things that happen today there are also bad things to deal with. Everyday is like this except today is a bit on the extreme side.

This called for me to waste a little time and make a discovery or two in the process. Most people who do not live in the south or in a deep rural area will not understand the fascination of deep frying anything and everything. We deep fry twinkies, steak, turkey, any kind of vegetable, snicker bars and just about anything we can find. I am an Oklahoma boy at heart but I still do the strange thing of trying to eat a little healthy.


This brought me to the idea of trying to deep fry different kinds of fruit. I should warn you not to try this at home and leave it to the professionals.... I think I maybe the only Pro Fruit Fryer in the world so go ahead and try but be warned if you do you WILL burn your house down. This is how the experiment worked for me.


1) Do not use grapes, they explode and cause hot grease to go all over the place.


2) Avocado.... good but needs an extra punch.


3) Tomatoes are bad they just turn into goo and you have to change out the oil


4) Apples kind of work but really I was not to impressed.


5) The best? Canned pineapple dipped in flour first and after frying you take a little powdered sugar and instant coffee and sprinkle it on top. When you drop those rings in cooker the oil pops, liquid squirts and things turn brown but it did not explode.


Now that I have totally wasted your time on the intricacies of deep frying fruit it might be nice to do something completely worthless for at least a few minutes out of any stressful day. You will thank me later because I feel so much better myself after frying fruit.

1 comment: