Inbox

Friday, February 19, 2010

A Gamble in My Life




I was talking to a friend a couple of nights ago around 2:30 am and she asked what my plans were for the summer. I told her just about everything that I was going to be doing and then threw in that I hoped to make the hike again to  Machu Picchu. She said that I was an exceptional person to be doing these things. I know that there is absolutely nothing special about me with the exception of one thing. I fail and when I fail I fail big! Almost anyone can make this trip but it is just most people find reasons not to.

My favorite saying is "I am just like every other man, I am not perfect. The thing that makes me special is that when I fail I fail so spectacularly that it shakes the foundations of the world. This does not stop me from dusting myself off, standing back up and failing spectacularly again and again." I try to live this creed in totality from my business life, personal life and even when I just want to have fun.

I have created some of the biggest train wrecks in history it would seem but I also have experienced things others would just dream of because I am not afraid to fail. I have told many people about moving, my new business and just a complete over haul of my life and most people who are friends seem to want to warn me about all of the pitfalls that could occur. I love my friends but these are the same people who are amazed when I tell them about  spelunking, mountain climbing to ancient cities or hanging out with "celebs" of different sorts.

Do I expect to have huge failures with all of my plans over the next few months? You bet I do. I expect there to be those who gossip (it has already started) and pry into my personal life frankly because they live a mundane life themselves. Does this bother me? Not one iota!

My greatest fear in life is to live in an ordinary world of my own creation.

God places each and everyone of us on this planet for a reason and some how I just seem to believe that his goal for us is NOT to have our greatest pleasure be a trip to WalMart. Take a chance, make a change in someone else life, explore God's creation but do not sit at home worried what others will think if you fail and making American Idol the highlight of your week.

Take a Gamble in your life, fail big but also experience things others only dream of. When you fail it will hurt but dust yourself off and try, try again...... I know another dull blog.

5 comments:

  1. Good stuff! Can't wait till you get here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Follow your heart and do what you think is best. I wish I had half the courage to be so daring..I don't know what my future holds, but I may end up doing things I would never of dreamt of doing. I have to do what makes me happy, not the world. My pastor told me, I need to stop thinking of everyone else's problems and take care of my immediate needs. That is my dad and I..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet, your Pastor is right. I do know you and also know that once things settle down you will be the woman who can dare to do the daring. Till then know that I am a true friend and will root for you in even the smallest of battles till you have whipped the beast of a problem that you are currently facing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful post! You are indeed a brilliant writer Michael!But not all friends that compliment you on your adventures do so because they lack adventures of their own! Being one of the many, Im sure; that have spoken to you on how great it is to do what you do and have done, I have done so only because I too live a wonderfully adventurous life and can identify exactly with your sense of adventure! As for people "prying" into your personal life, well dear what a great compliment that is, speaking for myself If I was truly interested in forming a relationship with someone I most definitly would be "prying" as I am not willing to jump in with my eyes closed! Not because I live a mundane life, but rather because I myself live an exiting, adventurous life and would want the man I was interested to be someone I could trust.But of course you already know this as judging from your posts you are a very honest and truthful person.Airam

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree Airam, I was referring to people who snoop and pry for entertainment.

    ReplyDelete