Inbox

Monday, February 22, 2010

Kill Your Food Before Eating It !!!




I was talking to an old friend who use to work with me on high end executive sales. I will tell you that while you were able to travel, stay in nice hotels and eat at fancy restaurants the job also had some big negatives. The biggest thing that was a problem to me was that no matter what there were certain things you had to do.

This friend of mine is still in the business and we got talking about some of the more strange things we had to do to make some CEO feel like we were great guys. I once played around of golf were I was over 100 strokes above par. Who cares about rules when you pay $1,200 per person for the game. This CEO was sure he was the greatest thing since Tiger Woods (insert joke here) and there was no way that I could allow myself to beat him so I shot more the 20 balls off a cliff on one hole alone. I thought this was a bad experience but he started telling me a story that I am not sure anyone could ever beat, at least beat and stay moral.

My friend is 3rd generation American of Korean heritage, this is nothing special really but it does give him a leg up when dealing with Korean CEO's. He told about going to a authentic Korean restaurant in L.A. and while being able to speak a little Korean he could not read the menu. When the waitress came by to take the orders he told her that he would have the same thing as the other gentlemen were having.

The waitress returned with little plates that she sat in front of each man and on the plates were things that looked suspiciously like slugs squirming around. This bothered my friend a little and he asked what they had ordered and the reply was sea cucumbers. At this point I would like to point out that a sea cucumber is not a plant but an animal that lives in the sea.

The Executives started popping them in to their mouths, chewing and then telling how good they were. They did start to wonder why a "good Korean boy" was not eating such wonderful food. My friend realized he had to come up with a plan or he might lose the contract. He thought about eating them but knew if one was put in his mouth and it moved there would be everything he had eaten in 48 hours coming out of his mouth.

He decided to do the old trick of palming the food, bring your hand to your mouth then put your hand in your lap and dispose of the food. Every kid in the world has tried this trick and I am not sure it has ever worked but we still try. It appeared to be working, he had cleaned the plate and dropped the slug looking things on the floor.

Everything was going great, the rest of the food was great and the Executives were just about ready to give him the contract. Then a small problem arrived, the sea cucumbers had crawled out from under the table and were now in plan sight. My friend panicked know that these men would soon figure out his con. The sweat started pouring, the nerves were shaking when out of nowhere he jumped up and said he needed to use the restroom. As he got up to leave he mention that his leg had fallen to sleep and stomped his foot on the slug like creatures several time making sure they would never move again.

He did get the contract and he did learn to never order what the other gentlemen are having.

I guess if there is a moral to the story it would be to "kill your food before eating it".

3 comments:

  1. And as Sarah Palin quips to vegetarians, "If God doesn't want us killing animals, why does He make them of meat?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is ewww! LOL :-)

    ReplyDelete