Inbox

Saturday, January 30, 2010

How Not to eat a Dog

I have a great friend who owned a nice restaurant in Oklahoma who is from Singapore. He returned to Singapore last summer and called to invite me out to visit him in a couple of months. I have always liked the guy and we have one of those honest relationships where you can ask anything. He has asked me in the past if white people really did have a secret hand shake that only we knew that kept people of other colors out of our circles.

Last night I asked him if he had ever eaten any dog. He laughed and explained that Singapore was more western then eastern but he did not answer my question. I asked him again if he had ever eaten any dog and he once again laughed and this time told me his dog eating story.

He explained that he and a couple of friends went to Vietnam to visit and decided that they would try a local place to eat because... well, they were curious about dog meat. They bravely ordered up the main dish and immediately decided that while they waited for the food it was probably a very good time to get really drunk. They drank until numb and were just about to complain about the delay in food when the dog was set on the table. My friend looked at his buddies and they decided they needed at least one more drink before testing the delicacy of dog. After several more drinks my buddy bravely decided to cut a leg off and start to eat it. He grabbed a large knife (he said almost a machete) and grabbed a hind leg to start hacking at.

When he grabbed the leg and lifted the critter up a bit to hack at it and he said that several roaches came running out from underneath the center dishes (they were there when they arrived at the table). He jumped back in a startled manner and decided that while he was willing to try dog meat he was not willing to try dog meat that had been ran over with roaches.

The odd thing about my friend is he suggests that when I come visit that we hop down to Vietnam to try dog meat......... I wonder if it will taste like chicken?

No comments:

Post a Comment