Inbox

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

How to Eat Sand

There is a strange sport in this neck of the woods (that is an Okie term I think) that an older man said he was going to teach me how to do several months back. I became impatient with waiting so I decided to hire a guy and go for it. The sport is called sand surfing and consists of standing on a modified snow board and sliding down a sand dune.

This all may sound a bit pedestrian but the fact is it is fun, at least it looked fun for people who actually were able to do it. I have tried with different levels of success all types of surfing and assumed I would have no trouble with this measly sport. My instructor kept telling me that most people lean back and cause themselves to fall so the whole time he yelled lean forward.

It did not take much time to figure that either the man was nuts and liked to see me burn my face with a sand blast or I was not normal because I never fell backwards but did learn what it felt like to be an ostrich with its head buried in the sand.

I realized I was getting a bit sick, stopped up nose, itchy eyes, ears felt clogged and a funny taste in my mouth when I decided to call it a day after a couple of hours. I am still not sure if it is the flu or if I have sand stuck in every hole in my head. I said good bye to Sand Master Park and headed back to a friends house to see if they would make sure I was still alive.

If I ever see the older gentleman again I think I will have a new respect for him. Not once have I ever heard that he goes around town spitting sand out.

No comments:

Post a Comment