Inbox

Monday, March 1, 2010

Men Are Born Idiots




I am a proud male, if I had to chose which sex to be then being a male would most certainly be one of my top two choices. I do not want people to think that God created us to be idiots but there are times when I am certain that one of the curses cast upon Adam was the curse of locking our brain up for safe keeping and forgetting where we put the key.

This line of thought started this morning when I realized that I needed to plan my road trip that is coming up. It will cover several thousand miles and will take more then two weeks. The trip will be a mixture of business and pleasure and should be fun but is also very important.

Doing what any responsible adult would do I pulled out a map and calendar of dates for which cities I had to be in on what date. I needed to make reservations for hotels, make sure I bought gas outside of the desert and normal things like that. This was a great start of being grown up and handling this trip like an adult.

The problem kicked in within about three minutes of planning. I became bored with the whole idea of plotting and planning and decided that I would just drive to whatever city was next on the itinerary and hope for the best. This might be a fine idea if the trip were only for pleasure but I have to be in different cities cleaned up, on top of my game and with the right material for my meetings.

I then realized that this is how men are, we tend to shoot from the hip and hope for the best. Even after remembering the horror of my last trip to Central America were I packed for a three week trip 25 minutes before I left for the airport, I still will probably not get this trip planned. To me there is something a bit more exciting about facing the unknown unprepared I suppose.

Men, we are idiots but we also have created the most and the best inventions, created the most wealth, ruled most of the world and even found time to create the best art ever to be found. The simple truth is we are at least as good as 50% of the population but we do need that moderation that only a woman can bring. I am not talking about the sweet, dovey eyed women from your dreams but the kind of woman who will slap you upside the head and tell you where you put the key to your brain.

Now I am off to find as many reasons as I can not to plan this trip. I am sure that I will spend more time trying to figure out why I do not have the time to plan it then if I just went ahead and planned it..... but men are born idiots. That is my excuse and I am sticking with it.

9 comments:

  1. A good woman always does make a better man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I disagree. We are not born idiots. We are born adventurous, warriors and dangerous. We don't need to TAME our wild side, but we do need to AIM it. Jesus found Himself in the wilderness and so did Moses. God speaks to us in the wild. But we are to take that inspiration and wise counsel we hear from Him and with it wage war, strategize, plan, execute etc. Having a wild side doesn't make us dumb. It makes us men. Firing our guns off without aiming is dumb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow..I'm not the only one? Seriously, there is something to be said for a well-organized, well-executed plan. On the other hand, some of the best creativity arises out of the heat of the battle. This is why we love a good action film; it plays this out to the 3rd power. We sense what we yearn being played out in front of our eyes.

    Now, I really should finish my preparations for my meeting tomorrow...lessee, where is my Grisham book....

    Joe Young

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will not totally disagree on all of this, but just go have fun

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janet.... I will as long as you promise to have fun. You have to do something for a smile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Men read "Wild at Heart" by John Eldredge. You'll understand better. We're not idiots for being adventurous any more than women are idiots for being overly cautious and safe. They are just two opposite expressions of God and that's why we need each other.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking at that picture that woman needs deliverance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm just agreeing with the title! Just kidding lol

    ReplyDelete