Inbox

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Strip Poker (Not What You Think)




Toiling away over the last few days has left little time for anything truly interesting to happen to me. I have a friend who has been helping me do some of the work and we started talking about how we first became friends. It all started over a game of strip poker.

We both volunteered to work one night a week at a local charity doing whatever jobs that needed to be done. Since we were both guys that appeared to have all of our arms and legs we seemed to  get the glamorous job of warehouse duty. The warehouse work was always fine with us because we just wanted to help out, it was hard, dirty and nasty but someone had to do it.


The fun began when a major food distributor donated several truck loads of products. The head of the charity called both my friend and I and asked if we could come in to unload the first truck. He explained that there would be four trucks total and the deliveries would be spread over a few days. We both agreed and showed up at the appointed time and then worked our rears off. The charity did not have any equipment to move pallets so we had to break them down in the truck and move them by hand.

We started to feel sorry for ourselves and complained to each other that there were 50 or more people who volunteered for this group but we were the only ones there to unload the truck. The task of unloading the truck took us over 10 hours because of the need to do it by hand and then putting the items where they belonged in the warehouse. My mind was racing as my back was breaking and each time someone "stopped" in to see how we were doing it irritated me. These people could come by to talk but did not even have 30 minutes to help. (Please note that I realize that I was wrong for feeling that way but I try to be honest with this blog)

When a small crowd had gathered talking to each other excitedly about how God had blessed the organization with the food and commenting about how thankful they had two men willing to unload the trucks my brain burst and I had an idea. Without looking at the small crowd I asked Steve (my friend) if the strip poker game was on after we unloaded the next truck tomorrow. Without any hesitation Steve said "you bet, I expect there to be several other guys and gals to join us".

We continued talking about this wonderful game of strip poker and how much fun it was going to be. Talking aloud and making sure that the group could hear us we explained that only people who were helping could play. Steve, being the brilliant devious counter part of mine, stated that you did not even have to play yourself but you could come and just cheer players on.

The next day when I entered the building I was stopped by the head of the charity who asked me about the game of strip poker we were supposed to be playing. I explained that Steve and I were joking and trying to get gums flapping simply out of boredom. He laughed and walked with me to the warehouse where there was a total of 21 people waiting to help. The gentleman then explained to the group that he had heard the rumor about a strip poker game and he was sure others had as well.

The head of the Charity went on to tell everyone how thankful he was for everyone showing up and helping with this thankless job. He prayed and gave a little pep talk to us. Then the gentleman did something I thought was pure genius, the last thing he said before going back to his office was to announce to the entire group "I hope that you did not show up to watch a game of strip poker but I guess I will be able to tell by who did by who shows up to unload the next two trucks". He smiled, walked over and shook Steve and my hands and then left.

We had plenty of help with the rest of the truck deliveries and Steve and I have been friends ever since.

6 comments:

  1. LOL I love it! :-) awf

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so funny :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. ~~Michael, Your sense of humor makes me laughs.That was a brilliant way to get the help that was needed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael You are so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes, it's not how you say it, but what you say. (that's about a 180 from what I tell my kids. )

    ReplyDelete